Our Custody Officer provides security functions within and around the perimeter of the facility. This position is responsible for maintaining proper security and safety standards for all patients. It makes security checks and inspections of the entire working environment and corrects or reports to the proper authority all shortcomings and deficiencies. The position must prepare written reports of daily activities, disciplinary infractions, accidents and incidents. It must develop and maintain a professional rapport with all patients, supervisors and other employees in the working environment.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Prefer one (1) year work experience in correctional, security or police work
- In addition, must meet any facility/state specific educational/training requirements
- Must possess a valid driver's license specific to the state of employment
- Maintains security of an assigned post (as defined by the facility), remaining alert at all times and taking the necessary action to prevent escapes. Monitors patient activities and intervening as needed to control disruptive and/or violent behaviors.
- Monitors and controls all communication systems, surveillance systems, emergency signal systems, including but not limited to: gates and doors, weapons, fire alarm system, thermal detection system, electronic locking system, closed circuit television system, computer systems, perimeter-alert system, public address (PA) system, two-way radio system, and mechanical restraining devices.
- Conducts formal and informal counts of patients and reports any discrepancies to the appropriate personnel.
- Observes and monitors patient behaviors inside and outside of the Facility. Identifying potential security breaches and implementing necessary safety precautions.
- Responds to emergency calls in patient areas to de-escalate aggressive behaviors, control fights and riots, prevent escapes and assists clinical staff to prevent harm or injury from violent patients utilizing established aggression control techniques. Participates in searching patient areas for contraband and other unauthorized items.
- The above responsibilities are a highlight of responsibilities and not a full list. Other responsibilities may be performed as assigned.